Sunday, November 22, 2009

ITSY Fundraising Event


This past weekend we had huge success with the second annual fundraising event for families in the St. Joseph's NICU unit, under the new umbrella of ITSY. Greg and I were so happy to be able to join this committee to help give back and support current families in the unit, and what a wonderful group of people to work with while doing it. The event was amazing and we had so many supporters through donations, auction items and those that were able to attend the event. Greg and I had the honor of being asked to speak at the event about our journey. I did the talking for us, which really didn't amount to much under all the tears and blubbering I brought to the stage. But I was very proud to be able to tell a little bit of Addy's story. It is amazing how after a year, the memories are still so fresh and difficult to remember and deal with. It was hard to go back and think where we were a year ago today. It was hard to stand up and thank those that helped us get through a difficult time by their unselfish kindness, and to those that cared for Addy and helped bring her home to where she is today. We have met some wonderful people along the way through this new leg of our journey, wonderful people that I gladly now call friends and others I hope to get to know better. It is odd to meet people you don't know but have an immediate connection with because of the simple fact of what we have gone through. I cannot wait to see what ITSY will bring next year. Thank you to everyone for your support for such an important endeavour. Stay tuned for the final numbers, but if our quick tally on Friday evening is any indication, we well surpassed our $10,000 goal. Fantastic!!

Well this is my last week home with my little angel and then it is back to the grind. We have a big week planned with lots of activities and some shopping States side for Black Friday. Then we will kick back and relax the weekend out, as I am sure the nerves will be setting in on Sunday! I know Addy will be fine, she is such a wonderful, even tempered little girl. It is me that will be having the issues of leaving her and not being able to be home with her everyday. Wish me luck!!

No comments: