The week of the 27th of March, Addison and I stopped in at the Best Start Hub for her weekly weigh in and sadly Addison had not gained any weight at all since her previous week. That was not good, as she had only put on 3 oz the week prior. We discussed it with the public health nurse and the concern was
that Addison was obviously not taking in the proper calorie intake and that this could be as a result of increased breastfeeding. Mommy got a little concerned and called the doctor's office but they were so booked we could not get Addison in for an appointment. We were told to keep an eye on her and ensure that she still had an appetite and did not get to lethargic, if this happened we were to go straight to the hospital. I decided however, that I did not want to see Addy fall any further behind so I discontinued breastfeeding for the week and went strictly to bottle so that I could monitor her volumes. Addison seemed to do well and took in approximately anywhere from 18-25 oz in a given day, so we continued bottles for the week to try to get her back up to speed on her weight. Sadly however, two problems arose......
1) we began to delve deeper into the stores of breast milk in the freezer to use up some of the older milk so we could continue on and freeze some of my current milk. Well much to our chagrin
Addison began making faces and turning away in disgust at her bottles. We quickly discovered that my milk had soured during the freezing process and poor Addison was getting bottles of sour milk. Apparently the high fat content in milk, would seperate during freezing and when thawed would not congeal together again properly, thus making the milk horrible. Needless to say I sadly threw out five boxes of spoiled milk this weekend, oh heartache, after all that hard work!!!
2) secondly since I stopped breastfeeding for the week and only pumping, my milk supply really slowed down and I began producing a lot less milk!!!! So through pumping I was only producing enough to feed Addison for the day with no extra. Which would be fine for now but once her volumes increase again I will be in trouble, especially with my freezer stores going bad only after a short time in the freezer. Arrggghh!!!! Who said that this breast feeding thing was easy???? So i quickly started taking the herbal supplement Fenugreek, which seems to be working okay to bring my milk supply up a bit, but not the volumes I was producing before. So now I am hoping to go at least to six months (corrected age) for Addison with breast milk, which will bring her close to eating solids and then we may have to switch over to formula.
So even though we had all these problems with my milk, it payed off in the end as Addison had a wonderful weight gain of one pound over the last two weeks!!! She is a whopping 12 lbs and 2 ozs and is quickly getting her wonderful little rolls back on her legs, arms and tummy.
On Saturday the 28th I attended a great Moms to Moms sale in London, which is basically a huge indoor garage sale of children's clothing, toys and other much needed baby items!!! So being the shopaholic that I am I quickly attended the clothing sale tables and found some fantabulous deals on some great brand name clothing for Addy. She is going to be the best dressed kid on the block!!! Such cute outfits for wonderful prices. For all you moms out there this is definitely the way to shop out. I got Addy some adorable
summer outfits for $1-$2 and some funky little swimsuits. I found this cute hat for .25c, and could not resist trying it on. A little big but sooo cute just the same. Addy seems impressed, I really hope she has the shopping bug like mommy, if not she will quickly learn. ;) ;))
The week of the 31st, Addison and I went down for a visit to Chatham to see Mim, Aunt Danielle and cousins; Logan and Zak, as
we would not see the family for Easter. Addison was happy to again see her cousins and was intrigued again with all the attention she got from Logan and Zak. Logan decided he was ready to hold Addison and I quickly snapped a shot. The boys were so good with her and so gentle, and wanted to help mom out as she fed Addison her bottle. They even decided to get together with Mim and take a pic with her and all her grandkids. So wonderful to see the family together and growing!!!! Addy can't wait to be able to play with the boys and steal all their cars I am sure.

No comments:
Post a Comment